09 June 2009

Welcome Back!


Chicago at night.


A giraffe at the Lincoln Park Zoo.



Hey all,

So,I have decided to kick this blog-thing back up in style. So, I will deliver a little check-in:

I survived last semester and did fairly well grades-wise. It hasn't quite hit me that I am going to be a senior in college... in fact, its a really scary thought. Even scarier is that I just signed up to take the GRE in September!!! Ahhhh!

I had a difficult transitioning back to Miami. Its hard to move to a place where you aren't familiar with the culture and try to fit in. Its even harder to move to a place where you are supposed to feel at home and not feel that same connection. Well, I eventually felt at home at Miami... it just took a lot of reflection on my experiences and, perhaps, toning down the my opinions and thoughts a little.

But, I am doing well, all things considered. Now, I am in Chicago through a program with Miami. I have an internship at DePaul University in their Student Leadership Institute... where I am helping them retool some programs, working with students, reading a lot of literature about leadership education, and discovering what a [9-5] job in student affairs is like. And to be honest, I absolutely love it.

Additionally, I am working at a youth center on the south side...in a neighborhood called Bridgeport (by the White Sox stadium). There, I get to play games and help tutor local children. After CPS gets out of school, I will be leading a soccer club and helping to tutor a few students in the afternoon.

So far, I have been able to experience a lot of places in the city... but, those descriptions will have to follow. I do have a few general pictures to share. And, many more stories to tell. But, for now, I am signing off. I think that I have discovered that if I write shorter posts, I am more likely to continue to write them... so, we will try this method for a while.

Hope all is well!

Love and Honor,

Matt


Sean and me in front of the "bean" in Millennium Park.

1 comment:

Qiao said...

Yay ! you're back! Keep blogging... :)